March 16, 2012

Baby rusks, first attempt


So I was a little inspired by the empty box of baby rice rusks this afternoon. We have a lactose intolerant and suspected gluten intolerant bubba so finding baby food that is free of these two things is quite a challenge and not very cheap. I had no idea where to start really so I did a quick google of home made rice crackers and found a few idea. Obviously everything had all sorts of non failsafe ingredients so I really had to improvise. The result isn't quite as I had hoped but certainly pretty good for a first effort, besides, the big guys like them so I must have done something right. I guess I know that if bubs doesn't eat them his big bros will. Next time I will experiment with over cooked rice and perhaps some potato flour, this time I tried quinoa flakes and rice flour.

1 cup quinoa flakes
2 cups boiling water
1/2 tsp salt (I actually used a full teaspoon but personally I think they're just a little salty, not the kids though)
1 cup rice flour
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 150 degrees celsius. Mix the quinoa flakes with the water and salt and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and place into a blender or food processor. Add rice flour and baking powder and whiz until well combined and sticky. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and sprinkle liberally with rice flour. Using 2 teaspoons, scoop teaspoonfuls onto the tray (using the second teaspoon to scrape the dough off the first), roll them into little logs in the flour and then gently press flat (flour your fingers first). Bake for about 30 minutes then remove from tray and cool on a cake rack.



The first bite

So far so good
Yep, we have success



No comments:

Post a Comment