March 13, 2012

Beautiful beets

Last night's dinner wasn't ALL about sprouts, I also made a very simple yet delicious beetroot salad. I was tempted to put some sprouts in it but I realised that might be going a little overboard, yes? Yes. So I remembered that old saying, "Keep it simple, stupid" and did just that. I used the same dressing that I put on the pear and sprout salad, I only needed one quantity of it for both.

Beetroot salad

5 medium to large beetroot
3 spring onions, sliced finely on the diagonal
basic dressing

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Wrap beets individually in foil and bake in oven for about 45 minutes or until just tender when poked with a knife. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly then peel and cut into wedges (about 12 wedges per beet). Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.



"Tinned" beetroot

My guys just love tinned beetroot, so after discovering their intolerance to additives, they were devastate that they could no longer eat one of their favourite salad ingredients. After a quick analysis of ingredients, I realised that I could achieve a similar result with all natural, Failsafe ingredients. I don't add sugar to mine as I find the beets are sweet enough, plus I'm a little opposed to my kids having too much sugar, but some people like the extra sweetness. The "pickled" beetroot lasts in the fridge for about 2 - 3 weeks.

5 beets
2 tsps citric acid
salt to taste
sugar to taste
water

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Wrap beets individually in foil and bake about 45 minutes or until just tender. Allow to cool slightly then peel and cut into slices about 1/2 centimetre thick. Mix citric acid, salt and sugar with enough water to dissolve then add sliced beetroot. Top up with enough water to cover then refrigerate.



No comments:

Post a Comment