March 27, 2012

Stock piling

 With winter on our doorstep I decided it was time to make a big batch of stock. Soups are a staple here in the colder months and I wanted to make sure I have plenty of stock in the freezer. The recipe below is really just a guide, you can add more or less of any of the ingredients if you wish. I freeze a lot of offcuts from vegies so when it comes to making stock, it costs me next to nothing and is so quick and easy. I guess doing this serves 2 purposes, cheap, easy stock and the spring onions and celery fit in my fridge better with the tops removed. Of course I also add a few fresh things to the pot. For those who are less sensitive, you can add peeled carrots and other moderate vegetables if you wish.
 
8 chicken carcasses
2 leeks chopped roughly
Tops of 9 bunches of spring onions
Tops of 2 celeries
1 bulb of  garlic, smashed and peeled
¼ white cabbage
1/2 a celery, leaves and all, roughly chopped
Stalks of a bunch of parsley
2 swedes, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tsps citric acid
1 tbsp Salt
Water
Place all ingredients into large boiler (20 litre) and fill just below the rim with water. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer no less than 2 hours. Scoop off a little of the fat that sits on the surface and  store in 1 litre containers in the freezer (I also like to fill a few smaller containers just in case I cook something that needs only a little stock). For ease and safety, I carefully ladle it into the containers, making sure I don't get any of the vegies and chicken in with it. Only when it gets right down do I strain it. A 20 litre pot is VERY heavy when full!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment